Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day, Mamasita

In my family's house, we are prone to make up songs as we sing them. In Spanish. Of course only two of us actually speak Spanish, so they end up being an innovative combination of Spanish, French and English. You might call it Spenchlish.

Take for example this song we occasionally sing for my mother to a pulsing Latin beat:

Mamasita,
Costa Rica;
Pica pica pica!!!
Arribaderci,
I love you.

My mother does not discriminate against incoherent, extemporaneous singing. In fact, she is known to begin Salsa dancing to our spontaneous Latin beats. This is because my mom is the best.

It is for her salsa dancing, silly song-loving self that I love her mucho grande. That and a million other reasons.

Here are just a few:

She sees the funny in life's tense, dramatic moments. And her laugh is the.best.

She's loves to learn and try new things. Since I have known her my mom has taken tap dance lessons, conga drum lessons, ballet lessons, French and German classes, and there are others, I'm just forgetting them.

She is tenacious. If the t.v. is malfunctioning, she'll figure out how to fix it. If she has a to-do list a mile long and she's running on three hours of sleep, she'll complete it. If her meniscus is torn, she'll run anyway. I have come to know that if there is a problem I can't solve, my mom can and will.

She makes a mean batch of gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free scones.

She asks the best questions. If I'm struggling to figure out what my next career steps should be, she'll ask the perfect question to help me figure it out. If I can't decide if I should date a particular guy, her questions will help me probe my heart until I have direction. She is the bestest life coach.

She is a loyal and patient confidant.

Her creativity and innovation know no bounds. Nobody can make a cowboy outfit out of a paper bag like my mom can. Nobody.

Gosh there's more. (And you can read more here).

But for now, I'll leave you with this:

Mama
bo bama
fi fy fo fama
tu fama
oh tu fama
is of a mama
magnifique!

Happy Mother's Day!



I love you,

Sarah



© by scj

2 comments:

  1. This explains why our Saturday session of "English" Country Dancing had a distinct Spanish flair to it. It was obvious that your beautiful mother was in the room -- and our experience was *definitely* the better for it! Arriba!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, Julianna! I'm sure she was the source of any Latin flair! What fun.

      Delete